Sunday, November 14, 2004

Getting closer to video completion

I've taken the idea of the Warholian approach, and translated it into a very usable patch. I have three unique patches right now all taking the idea of repition and doing everything from fades to color to volume in order to translate the sound and movement of the wand into visual clues. The images I'll be using will be determined only after we've finished compiling all of the sound, so i've been staring at some random guy in a suit changing colors and becoming far too pyschedelic for his own good.

unfortunately the lab closed before I got the chance to post the patches that I made, and I don't have Max here, so hopefully I'll find time tomorrow to post the suckers. Everyone will get the pleasure of seeing them in class tomorrow in our long awaited demonstration, so fear not.

One of the patches has four panels, each changing color corresponding to a different change in sound. Another has twenty five, where the pictures fade in and out in a pulsing effect according to the volume, and other effects change simultaneously-I'm not sure how pure I want to keep it, if I want to involve x-fades, or if that's just gratuitous. Still in store are more ambitious variations of this same idea, and getting the perfect images or video (I'm still not sure which). Also, I'm not sure if they'll all be the same images repeated on each computer, or just similar images, taken from different angles.

While there's still alot I don't know aesthetically, the patches, after going through some far too complicated iterations, have simplified themselves into what I find to be a nice designerly approach to solving this problem. Sarah, who was sitting next to me for the last two hours I was at the computer cluster (the last two hours it was open, that is)went off about how she could see it as a visulazation complenting an ever increasing crowd noise level, as it increases, it speaks of the similarities of everyone involved, all just carbon copies. We're not going in that direction, but the fact that even in beta (is that how we refer to things in this world of art) it's already making people think is definitely a good sign.

Well, can't work on Max anymore-may meet up with my group later in the night, but more likely then not will postponed that for tommorow morning when we have our heads on straight, which means after a brief talk with Dylan on exactly how we'll be demonstrating our direction, it'll be back to Lightwave and my sickeningly overplayed, if not yet overdone animation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home